START-UP PROCEDURE FOR THE
AND THE LEAK DETECTOR
Before plugging in the pump, set the following controls
to the initial position indicated below.
Right Front corner of stainless steel
|GROSS LEAK TEST
|PUMPS (ROUGH, FORE, DIFF)
Pump Leak Indicator Panel
||COUNTER CLOCK WISE (CCW)
1. Plug in machine. The compressor should start if the air pressure is
2. Turn on the PUMPS circuit breaker for the ROUGH, FORE and DIFF.
3. Allow 30 minutes for the diffusion pump to warm up, then place the ELECTRONICS
circuit breaker in the ON position. Verify that the SPECTROMETER TUBE PRESSURE
meter reads upscale (may take up to 2 minutes), then turn the PUMPING
MODE switch to OPERATE position.
4. When the SPECTROMETER TUBE PRESSURE meter shows 0.5 millitorr, pour a little
liquid nitrogen into the cold trap. When the pressure is in the green band,
fill the trap.
5. Set the transfer PRESSURE control to approximately 9 o'clock (about 20
6. Set the START/VENT switch in the VENT position.
The pump is now ready to be connected to the dewar. If that is what
you want to do, make sure the dewar valve is closed, attach dewar to
pump test port, put FRONT PANEL SWITCH in START position, pump on the
line for a while before opening dewar valve, slowly.
Note that the diffusion pump port will close if the pressure goes
above the transfer pressure and the front switch should then be
switched to reset and back to start to reopen the valves. Failure to
do this will result in the pump evacuating the internal pipes but not
the test port and the dewar connected to it.
to Instrument Subsystem Page